When we match a child with a mentor, we start something incredible – a life-changing relationship built on friendship, trust and empowerment. Make a “Big” difference by giving a “Little” time. Start volunteering today.
How You Become A Mentor
There are several steps to becoming a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. You can work through the steps in any order, but please note that it will take as many as 12 weeks for us to complete the volunteer screening process with you:
- You will be asked to:
- Submit your application form
- Attend volunteer orientation (see dates below)
- Request your Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check (we will send you a letter or form so you can do this)
- Participate in a one-on-one interview
- Complete program specific training (as required)
The Matching Process
Once your volunteer screening process is complete, we will start the process of matching you with your mentee. Each of programs has a slightly different process, but in general:
- Your caseworker will discuss a potential match with you. They will also speak with the child/youth and the family or school.
- Your caseworker will arrange a meeting where everyone can meet and get to know one another
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates:
- Monday, August 13 – 6 to 8 pm at BBBS
- Friday, August 24 – 2 to 4 pm at BBBS
Orientation sessions are either held at the BBBS office at 230 Bay Street (next to Castle Building Supply in Vic West) or at our Go Girls! Lounge at Uptown Shopping Centre (next to Forever 21 on the Douglas Street side of the mall).
Everyone is welcome to attend. Registration is nice but not necessary. Please call 250-475-1117, ext. 40 or email email@example.com for more details.