When we match a child with a mentor, we start something incredible – a life-changing relationship built on friendship, trust and empowerment. Make a “Big” difference by giving a “Little” time. Start volunteering today.
How You Become A Mentor
There are several steps to becoming a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. You can work through the steps in any order, but please note that it will take as many as 12 weeks for us to complete the volunteer screening process with you:
- You will be asked to:
- Submit your application form
- Attend volunteer orientation (see dates below)
- Request your Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check (we will send you a letter or form so you can do this)
- Participate in a one-on-one interview
- Complete program specific training (as required)
The Matching Process
Once your volunteer screening process is complete, we will start the process of matching you with your mentee. Each of programs has a slightly different process, but in general:
- Your caseworker will discuss a potential match with you. They will also speak with the child/youth and the family or school.
- Your caseworker will arrange a meeting where everyone can meet and get to know one another
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates:
- Tuesday, November 13, 6:30 to 8:30 pm at the Big Brothers Big Sisters office at 230 Bay Street
- Friday, November 23 – 2 to 4 pm at Uptown – Guest Services Community Room
- Monday, December 10 – 6 to 8 pm at Uptown Community Lounge
- Friday, December 21 – 2 to 4 pm at Uptown Community Lounge
Orientation sessions are usually held at the Community Lounge at Uptown Shopping Centre (opposite Brown’s Social House on the main level), but please check address as there are a couple of exceptions. Please note Uptown has both a Community Lounge and a Community Room.
Everyone is welcome to attend. Registration is nice but not necessary. Please call 250-475-1117, ext. 40 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Please review our Volunteer Inquiry Guide for more details: