When we match a child with a mentor, we start something incredible – a life-changing relationship built on friendship, trust and empowerment. Make a “Big” difference by giving a “Little” time. Start volunteering today.
How You Become A Mentor
There are several steps to becoming a mentor with Big Brothers Big Sisters. You can work through the steps in any order, but please note that it will take as many as 12 weeks for us to complete the volunteer screening process with you:
- You will be asked to:
- Submit your application form
- Attend volunteer orientation (see dates below)
- Request your Criminal Record/Vulnerable Sector Check (we will send you a letter or form so you can do this)
- Participate in a one-on-one interview
- Complete program specific training (as required)
The Matching Process
Once your volunteer screening process is complete, we will start the process of matching you with your mentee. Each of programs has a slightly different process, but in general:
- Your caseworker will discuss a potential match with you. They will also speak with the child/youth and the family or school.
- Your caseworker will arrange a meeting where everyone can meet and get to know one another
If everyone agrees, the match can begin!
Upcoming Volunteer Orientation Dates:
- Monday, May 13, 6 to 8 pm at BBBS
- Friday, May 24, 2 to 4 pm at Uptown
- Monday, June 10, 6 to 8 pm at BBBS
- Friday, June 21, 2 to 4 pm at Uptown
Orientation sessions are held at our BBBS office on 230 Bay Street (we share our space with Castle Building Supply so come up the ramp on the Bay Street side of the building) or at the Community Room at Uptown Shopping Centre (head towards the escalators by Wal-Mart and find Guest Services. The Community Room is located just past Guest Services as you walk into the parking lot). Everyone is welcome to attend. Registration is nice but not necessary. Please call 250-475-1117, ext. 40 or email email@example.com for more details.
Please review our Volunteer Inquiry Guide for more details:Please review our Volunteer Inquiry Guide for more details.[/su_document]